DIY Disney Snow White Cosplay TutorialEveryone loves a Disney Princess story! Why not make your story a fairytale by creating a dress based on your favorite princess! In this tutorial, I'm going to show you how I create a Snow White dress while making it uniquely my own!
- Simplicity 8489
- 1 yard of Turquoise Crepe Back Satin
- 1 yard of White Crepe Back Satin
- 1 yard of Royal Blue Crepe Back Satin
- 1 yard of Dark Red Crepe Back Satin
- 5 Yards of Dark Gold Crepe Back Satin
- 1 yard of Dark Red Charmeuse Satin
- 1 yard of Royal Blue Charmeuse Satin
- 1 yard of Royal Blue Poly China Silk Lining
- 2 yards of Mist Gold Sheer Voile
- 22" Blue invisible zipper
- Satin pins
- zipper foot
- optional embellishments pearls, embroidered lace
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine
LET'S GET STARTED!
- Cut out the sewing pattern following your measurements for the Dress, Cape, Collar, and interfacing pieces. I'm adding a skirt overlay which you can create from 2 rectangle pieces.
- Starting with the bodice stay stitch the neck and arm edge and sew darts on the bottom of the bodice as noted on the pattern. After this, you may opt to add embellishments if you choose.
- Next, sew darts into the bodice lining same as step 2, then sew bodice and lining together at shoulder seams.
- Following the pattern sew your neckline interfacing to the wrong side of the bodice lining.
- Stitch the bodice lining to the bodice right sides together then turn outside and press.
- Next, baste the edges of the bodice to hold the bodice and lining in place. After this step, you may choose to sew embroidered lace to the neckline but this is optional!
- Take your sleeve pieces and decorative appliques and pin them into place on the sleeve following the pattern directed placements. Sew the appliques with a zig-zag stitch. You may embellish the sleeves if you wish.
- Sew 2 rows on the top and bottom of the sleeve with the longest stitch on your machine. Gently pull the bottom threads to form your gathers.
- Iron interfacing to the sleeve collar bands and attach one band to each sleeve gathering the sleeves to fit.
- Pin sleeves to bodice right sides together.
- Sew from the sleeve to the bottom of the bodice making sure to sew over basting stitches.
- Fold 2nd set of sleeve collar bands by 2" and press. Then pin and stitch 2nd collar band to the right side of the collar band.
- Sew 2nd collar band and fold upward into the sleeve.
- To make the skirt you will take the back skirt pieces and front pieces and sew them together at the sides leaving an 8" gap for the zipper. Next, you will hem the bottom of the skirt. You may embellish the hem after this step if you choose.
- Next, just like for the sleeves sew 2 rows of stitching to form your gathers and pull the bottom threads to ruffle the fabric. You will do the same for your outer skirt pieces.
- Pin your outer skirt fabric to the skirt and then pin the bodice to the skirt. You should have 3 layers of fabric pinned together at this step. Sew slowly making sure to remove any pins.
- Next, install the zipper to the back of the dress using a zipper foot. After this step, you made further embellish the dress if you so wish.
- To form your collar sew your collar pieces right sides together. You can attach lace at this step by sandwiching the lace between the 2 pieces if you wish. Sew the pieces together and turn them right side out to form a collar.
- Attach collar stand to the collar by pining collar pieces right sides together with collar edge in between. Turn right side out and topstitch color piece closed.
- Sew the center seam for the outer cape fabric and inner cap fabric.
- Pin outer & contrast fabric right sides together leaving a 5 inch opening at the neck of the cape and stitch. Turn right side out and press the cape to flatten. Sew the cape ends together to form small pleats on either end. Use a decorative brooch to attach the cape and collar to the dress and you're done!
- You may now go out and live your Disney Princess Fantasy!